Contributions Welcome

This blog belongs to everyone interested in preserving and promoting traditional Indian wrestling. Please feel free to contribute photos, videos, links to news articles or your own blog posts. E-mail contributions to

Sep 24, 2011

Two wrestlers die of toxic gas while cleaning well

The Pioneer

Two promising wrestlers died due to toxic gas at an akhara (wrestling spot) located outside Guhna village in Sonepat district on Tuesday evening.

Another wrestler also fell unconscious under the effects of the poisonous gas. He was admitted to civil hospital where his condition is stated to be out of danger.

The deceased have been identified as Dinesh (22) and Manoj (22) belonging to the same village. The incident took place when Dinesh and Manoj descended into an old well to clean it. The well had remained closed for a long time.

After some time, both of them fell unconscious due to toxic gas emanating from the well. Seeing the gravity of the situation, Deepak also jumped into the well to save them but he also got unconscious under the effects of the gas.

Another wrestler, who was also present there, informed the villagers about the incident. The villagers rushed to the spot and took out the trio from the well.

They were rushed to civil hospital where Dinesh and Manoj were declared brought dead. Deepak is undergoing treatment in the hospital.

Later, the police reached the hospital and took stock of the situation. A pall of gloom descended on the native village of the deceased when the news of their death spread. The police on Wednesday handed over the bodies to their kin after getting their post-mortem done.

No comments: